Areas of Research and Projects
Future Internet Documents (Visual Computing)
- Personalized services which facilitate the universal and profound access to informations and which supply the correct content at the correct time considering the preferences and contexts of the users. This will include local services where virtual information is seamlessly intermingled with real “world projects”.
- Advanced services of telecommunication which make possible that people from different localities can work together in a “virtual” place. These services will benefit the acceptance of users for collaboration at distance which will have the positive effect of reducing expenses and energy consumption as the physical transport can be avoided.
- Efficient services for the visual search and recovery of 3D and other contents which allow requests based on drafts and examples as well as object-oriented data search.
- Distributed media analysis and services of surveillance which make possible that the business community has constant access to its external business environment. This includes technologies for semantic content fusion and visualization.
- Immense media expenditures beyond HDTV which support the fusion of 3D video and interactive virtual contents and therefore give the users the opportunity to interact in a new quality with 3D contents.
- Intelligent and supporting instruments for the creation, modification and exchange of audiovisual and 3D contents, e.g. within social communities. In this way the process of creation becomes as simple as today's text processing.
The services mentioned above can only be promoted by interdisciplinary research and development. Associated aims of research are for example the implementation of open formats, the improvement of automatic semantic media analysis and 3D contents, and the conservation of archived media contents and digitalization of cultural possessions through content-supported media improvement or technologies for digitalization of 3D objects. Furthermore, the deployment of effective recommender systems, the development of multimodal user interfaces, the development of technologies for the efficient compression and transmission of dynamic and interactive 3D contents as well as the securing of the private sphere.