Areas of Research and Projects
Future Internet Communications
- Web technologies: The fast and unstoppably growing amount of services and contents in the internet makes sure that the development of systems and methods for their management is becoming a field with high potential for innovative research. The emphasis of this area is the demand for quality by the users of web applications.
- The principles and methods for the processing of product data have been a challenge up to the present day. The task of virtual product development is to understand this integrally, but also formally specified. That means that the intensified usage of the internet and its services and communication offers which leads to a virtual and a priori worldwide distributed methodology of development, has to be considered, too.
- Peer-to-peer systems: Systems that belong to the peer-to-peer paradigm are based on the cooperative delivery of a service through the participating service users. They have the distinction of being particularly robust and cost-efficient and to allow a natural distribution of resources. That is why they are especially interesting for science and economics. For a few years the majority of the data volume in internet has been processed by P2P protocols. Still, the properties of P2P protocols and its effects on efficiency, quality and service quality especially of distributed applications (e.g. backup and storage, cloud computing, obligation management, ephemeral communication) have not been sufficiently understood yet because of its high complexity. The research and development in this area is to be intensified even more.
- Mobile communication technologies: The character of mobile communication has developed with great velocity from mere mobile telephony to mobile broadband networks and is still developing to constantly available networks with transfer rates up to gigahertz level. Besides the traditional speech communication, mobile applications like iPhone-Apps are gaining more and more importance. The aim of this field is to help to shape the coming generations of communication protocols and mobile applications.
- Sensor networking technologies: Sensors are getting increasingly ubiquitous. They observe the condition of persons, objects and the environment; they transmit and aggregate these information and help thus to simplify daily life through adaptive environments. The aim is to make sensor networking a permanent feature of future internet (internet of things) and to facilitate a seamless integration of sensor networking and its based-on applications.
- Service-oriented computing: The new infrastructures of networks allow the realization of new services within the internet. The actual distribution can remain transparent (cloud computing, service-oriented architecture) and contain a variety of parallel relations of supply and demand. At the same time, the need for the securing of quality demands and its regulation is still growing. In this area, the service-quality of such systems is particularly regarded.
- Multimedia technologies: Nowadays, the internet makes it possible to have interactive multimedia applications in real time. Internet-based computer games have proved to be a very successful form of such applications. The field Serious Games deals with carrying over game technologies and game concepts to “serious” application areas, such as education and health.